Title: English Exercises.org
Reviewer: Behice Ceyda Cengiz
1) Availability of Membership/Subscription (Phone, email, social media)
2) Whether registration is required for the access to the materials, worksheets etc.
No registration is required for viewing the content. There is login for teachers who would like to contribute to the creation of online exercises using the exercise generator of the website.
3) Authorship (Contact/ information about the author/institution/website owner)
4) Site description and content (Short description of website, purpose, language skills, materials and activities, learners proficiency level, age )
The website consists mainly of online exercises about grammar and vocabulary. There are also sections for business English, listenings, movies, readings, songs, tests, webquests, writing and other exercises. Most, if not all, of the exercises are fill-in-the-blanks type. But there are also multiple choice, true false types, etc. The exercises are created by language teachers all over the world. The proficiency level and age of the learners for which the exercise is prepared is given along with the name of the language teacher creating the exercise. The number of downloads is specified for each exercise.
5) Up-to-datedness (Updated time and current links)
6) Accuracy (Accurate information, bibliography, language accuracy)
The language used on the website is accurate. The name of the teachers creating the exercise is given.
7) Presentation (Organization/navigation, user-friendliness, technical aspects, graphics, advertisement)
It cannot be considered a very user friendly website. There is too much text without much space. There is not a standard layout even within a single exercise. It requires many clicks to access an exercise. There are so many sections of an exercise given in a single page. The overall design of the website could be better. But, it is easy to locate exercises choosing the level, age and content.
8) Usefulness (For teachers / students – in class or out class activity)
It is useful for teachers and learners who are in need of language exercises. It can be especially beneficial for practicing the grammar points covered in the classroom. The exercises can be done in a computer lab at school or the learners can use the website for self studying outside the classroom.
9) Overall rating
1 Very Poor (Not recommended)
2 Poor (Not appropriate)
3 Adequate (Acceptable with adaptation)
4 Good (Appropriate for use)
5 Excellent (Highly recommended)
1 2 3 4 5