Title: TED Talks
Reviewer: Behice Ceyda Cengiz
1) Availability of Membership/Subscription (Phone, email, social media)
2) Whether registration is required for the access to the materials, worksheets etc.
Without registration, one can view all of the videos. Login is required for commenting on the discussions about the videos.
3) Authorship (Contact/ information about the author/institution/website owner)
The names of speakers in the videos, their bio and contact information (e.g. e-mail, twitter) are given.
4) Site description and content (Short description of website, purpose, language skills, materials and activities, learners proficiency level, age )
The website is a great place for intermediate to advanced level of learners who can choose to watch among a vast array of videos about different topics depending on their interests and hobbies. While deciding on the video to watch, one can choose among different topics, languages, duration intervals and sort by categories such as inspiring, newest, persuasive, etc. One can see the transcript and also add subtitles to these videos. Below the videos, one can see the various comments made by different people and participate in these discussions by writing a comment. In addition to these, one can find additional readings suggested by the speaker.
5) Up-to-datedness (Updated time and current links)
The website is updated frequently. All of the links are working.
6) Accuracy (Accurate information, bibliography, language accuracy)
The language used on the website is accurate. The authors/speakers can be identified.
7) Presentation (Organization/navigation, user-friendliness, technical aspects, graphics, advertisement)
It is a user friendly website. It is easy to navigate and find what you are looking for.
8) Usefulness (For teachers / students – in class or out class activity)
The videos can serve as excellent listening resources to be used in the language classroom. The transcript and subtitles can be used in the classroom for teaching listening or reading materials.
9) Overall rating
1 Very Poor (Not recommended)
2 Poor (Not appropriate)
3 Adequate (Acceptable with adaptation)
4 Good (Appropriate for use)
5 Excellent (Highly recommended)
1 2 3 4 5