Title: Oxford University Press
Reviewer: Nur Gedik Bal
1) Availability of Membership/Subscription (Phone, email, social media)
2) Whether registration is required for the access to the materials, worksheets etc.
It is not required, yet one can register to the website and have an account.
3) Authorship (Contact/ information about the author/institution/website owner)
Oxford University Press is a department of the University of Oxford.
4) Site description and content (Short description of website, purpose, language skills, materials and activities, learners proficiency level, age )
It is a widely known and acknowledged university press. Its mission is to support Oxford University’s objective of excellence in research, scholarship, and education. Its includes scholarly works in all academic disciplines, music, school and college textbooks, children’s books, materials for teaching English as a foreign language, business books, dictionaries, reference books, and academic journals. The website provides many sources for authors, lecturers, librarians, students and many societies. It includes not only resources of art and humanities but also many areas like medicine, health, science and education. Students can make use of ‘sources for students’ In this part, students can find crossword puzzles, spelling challenge and Oxford grammar.
5) Up-to-datedness (Updated time and current links)
It is an updated website. There is news released on July 29, 2016.
6) Accuracy (Accurate information, bibliography, language accuracy)
The language of the website and the materials provided are accurate.
7) Presentation (Organization/navigation, user-friendliness, technical aspects, graphics, advertisement)
It is easy to navigate thanks to the categorization of the fields on the website. Moreover, sources are also classified considering the audience. Therefore, as a language teacher or learner, one can easily find the sources for himself.
8) Usefulness (For teachers / students – in class or out class activity)
It is very useful for both students and teachers. Instructors can make use of the books and journals provided by Oxford University Press for their professional development. Especially the books on Language Teaching and Learning can broaden their horizon in terms of classroom practice. Students can make use of online sources like dictionaries provided on the website. Moreover, the activities provided under the title of ‘Sources for students’ are very engaging for language learners especially ‘spelling challenge’ where students can hear the word and spell it simultaneously.
9) Overall rating
1 Very Poor (Not recommended)
2 Poor (Not appropriate)
3 Adequate (Acceptable with adaptation)
4 Good (Appropriate for use)
5 Excellent (Highly recommended)
1 2 3 4 5