Title: News in Levels
Reviewer:Behice Ceyda Cengiz
1) Availability of Membership/Subscription (Phone, email, social media)
2) Whether registration is required for the access to the materials, worksheets etc.
No registration is needed.
3) Authorship (Contact/ information about the author/institution/website owner)
There are different contributors of the website, whose names are announced together with the date of their posting. The names and emails of the contact people are also given along with the mail address and website link.
4) Site description and content (Short description of website, purpose, language skills, materials and activities, learners proficiency level, age )
In the website, there is a new article published every day. One can read the article and listen to the audio recording of the article. The articles have three levels including Level 1, 2 and 3. The vocabulary gets harder as the levels increase. At the end of the article, the meaning of the new vocabulary is provided. For writing, there is a comment part under the article. There is also a chatroom where one can write about the news. For speaking, there is a skype section from where one can choose a person to talk about the news or the questions published on the website. Different headings on the website lead one to different websites, which are about/ include grammar, jokes, videos and MP3. There is also a mobile application of News in Levels.
5) Up-to-datedness (Updated time and current links)
Updated nearly every day
6) Accuracy (Accurate information, bibliography, language accuracy)
The language used on the website is accurate. A list of all the authors are given including the date of their posting.
7) Presentation (Organization/navigation, user-friendliness, technical aspects, graphics, advertisement)
It is a user friendly website. It is easy to navigate and find what you are looking.
8) Usefulness (For teachers / students – in class or out class activity)
It is useful for teachers who are looking for videos to use in the classroom. It is also useful for students who can use the website outside the class for reading, listening, and learning new vocabulary. Students can also use skype section for practicing speaking skills.
9) Overall rating
1 Very Poor (Not recommended)
2 Poor (Not appropriate)
3 Adequate (Acceptable with adaptation)
4 Good (Appropriate for use)
5 Excellent (Highly recommended)
1 2 3 4 5