Title: Ingiliz Dili.net
Reviewer: Behice Ceyda Cengiz
1) Availability of Membership/Subscription (Phone, email, social media)
2) Whether registration is required for the access to the materials, worksheets etc. Registration is not required.
3) Authorship (Contact/ information about the author/institution/website owner)
4) Site description and content (Short description of website, purpose, language skills, materials and activities, learners proficiency level, age )
The website includes Turkish explanations for basic to intermediate level grammar rules in English. In addition, there are reading passages, some of which are accompanied by audio recordings and some of which are given with close-ended exercises (fill-in-the blanks type mostly). Among the readings, there are some classical children books. For vocabulary, there is a dictionary, which gives a picture, specifies word category, synonyms, pronunciation, Turkish translation, and exam sentences for each word. There are also vocabulary tests, in which a random picture is shown and students are required to choose the right option. After an answer for the question is given, a picture for the word, its word category and an example sentence is provided. There are powerpoint presentations for vocabulary items of New Bridge to Success book. In the website, there is a search engine which allows one to find many sentences including a certain word typed in the engine.
5) Up-to-datedness (Updated time and current links)
It is not a website that is updated frequently. Most of the links are broken. If there is a reading passage for example, the audios do not work most of the time.
6) Accuracy (Accurate information, bibliography, language accuracy)
The language used on the website is accurate. But it is Turkish mostly. No bibliography is provided.
7) Presentation (Organization/navigation, user-friendliness, technical aspects, graphics, advertisement)
The dead links and too much content on the main page lead to an unpleasant layout. There are many advertisements and some links to other irrelevant pages, which make the website not a user-friendly one indeed.
8) Usefulness (For teachers / students – in class or out class activity)
The basic to intermediate level grammar rules can be useful for students, who need Turkish explanation for grammar rules in English. The picture dictionary can be beneficial for students. The search engine, which brings a variety of sentences including words (those typed in the search engine) can serve as a corpus in the classroom and can be used for teaching vocabulary or for students’ self-study.
9) Overall rating
1 Very Poor (Not recommended)
2 Poor (Not appropriate)
3 Adequate (Acceptable with adaptation)
4 Good (Appropriate for use)
5 Excellent (Highly recommended)
1 2 3 4 5