Title: BBC Learning
Reviewer: Behice Ceyda Cengiz
1) Availability of Membership/Subscription (Phone, email, social media)
2) Whether registration is required for the access to the materials, worksheets etc.
Registration is needed ‘to comment, add favourites, receive personalised recommendations based on your BBC browsing history and more’.
3) Authorship (Contact/ information about the author/institution/website owner)
The authors of different columns in the website cannot be identified.
4) Site description and content (Short description of website, purpose, language skills, materials and activities, learners proficiency level, age )
It is BBC’s ‘factual and educational site’ for adults in which one can find information about various topics/subjects (e.g. sports, art, music, etc.), attend online courses, learn English as a second language, learn other languages, and have access to learning resources for home and school. In the website, there are also Iplayer Radio and BBC TV channels.
5) Up-to-datedness (Updated time and current links)
The website is not updated any more. The page is archived.
6) Accuracy (Accurate information, bibliography, language accuracy) The language used on the website is accurate. No bibliography is provided.
7) Presentation (Organization/navigation, user-friendliness, technical aspects, graphics, advertisement)
It is a user friendly website. It is easy to navigate and find what you are looking for.
8) Usefulness (For teachers / students – in class or out class activity) The authentic texts and articles on different genres/ subjects (e.g. sports, arts, etc.) can be used as reading materials. There is ‘Learn English as a second language’ section in which one can find many materials and activities specifically designed for English language learners. In that section, there are different units for different proficiency levels, which makes it practical for language teachers. The radio section which include some old content and subtitles can be used as listening materials in the classroom. The students can use the radio and BBC TV channels outside the classroom for improving their listening skills.
9) Overall rating
1 Very Poor (Not recommended)
2 Poor (Not appropriate)
3 Adequate (Acceptable with adaptation)
4 Good (Appropriate for use)
5 Excellent (Highly recommended)
1 2 3 4 5