Reviewer: Behice Ceyda Cengiz
1) Availability of Membership/Subscription (Phone, email, social media)
2) Whether registration is required for the access to the materials, worksheets etc.
Without registration, one can view all of the videos and access all of the materials. Login is required for more special things such as commenting on the discussions about the videos, creating a lesson through TED-ED editor, etc.
3) Authorship (Contact/ information about the author/institution/website owner)
The names of speakers in the videos and writers in the blogs are provided. Contact information is also given.
4) Site description and content (Short description of website, purpose, language skills, materials and activities, learners proficiency level, age )
The website is a great place for intermediate to advanced level of learners who can choose to watch among a vast array of videos about different topics depending on their interests and hobbies. One can add subtitles to these videos. TED also has a blog section, in which there are numerous passages about different topics. In addition to these, TED has a special column for education, which is called TED-Ed. By choosing among the videos on the website, teachers can create lessons by using TED-ED lesson editor and adding questions of various formats. Teachers can publish their lesson page, share it with their class, and check their work. All language skills can be integrated around the videos of this website in the classroom.
5) Up-to-datedness (Updated time and current links)
The website is updated frequently. All of the links are working.
6) Accuracy (Accurate information, bibliography, language accuracy)
The language used on the website is accurate. The authors/speakers can be identified.
7) Presentation (Organization/navigation, user-friendliness, technical aspects, graphics, advertisement)
It is a user friendly website. It is easy to navigate and find what you are looking for.
8) Usefulness (For teachers / students – in class or out class activity)
The videos can serve as excellent listening resources to be used in the language classroom. The various topics discussed in the blogs can be used for teaching reading since they are very authentic and encompass a wealth of different and interesting topics. TED-ED editor can be used to create lessons around these videos.
9) Overall rating
1 Very Poor (Not recommended)
2 Poor (Not appropriate)
3 Adequate (Acceptable with adaptation)
4 Good (Appropriate for use)
5 Excellent (Highly recommended)
1 2 3 4 5