Title: Spark notes
Reviewer: Behice Ceyda Cengiz
1) Availability of Membership/Subscription (Phone, email, social media)
2) Whether registration is required for the access to the materials, worksheets etc.
Without registration, one can view all of the videos and access all of the materials.
3) Authorship (Contact/ information about the author/institution/website owner)
An e-mail address is provided.
4) Site description and content (Short description of website, purpose, language skills, materials and activities, learners proficiency level, age )
It is a website that can be used for the integration of literature in language classes. The texts of literary classics (e.g. Hamlet, Beowulf, etc.) are given in modern and simplified versions, which makes it more practical for language teachers for immediate use in class. For these literary texts, study guides are provided along with summary, analysis, character list, quizzes, study questions& essay topics, etc. One prominent feature of the website is that there are videos for these literary classics. There is SparkTests section which include fun and interesting tests about different topics. In SparkLife section, one can find writings by different people, which can serve as interesting reading materials. It is more suitable for intermediate to advanced level learners (not young learners). It can be ideal for high school or older students.
5) Up-to-datedness (Updated time and current links)
The website is updated frequently. All of the links are working.
6) Accuracy (Accurate information, bibliography, language accuracy)
The language used on the website is accurate. In SparkLife section, the authors of the texts are given.
7) Presentation (Organization/navigation, user-friendliness, technical aspects, graphics, advertisement)
It is a user friendly website. It is easy to navigate and find what you are looking for.
8) Usefulness (For teachers / students – in class or out class activity)
Language teachers interested in literature or have such students in class can easily use the simplified literary texts in class as reading materials, analyze the texts with class from literary point of view and use the videos for listening and speaking activities. Sparktests can be used as warm up activities or contingency plan. SparkLife section having interesting content can be used for reading or discussion activities.
9) Overall rating
1 Very Poor (Not recommended)
2 Poor (Not appropriate)
3 Adequate (Acceptable with adaptation)
4 Good (Appropriate for use)
5 Excellent (Highly recommended)
1 2 3 4 5