Title: Oxford OWL
Reviewer: Behice Ceyda Cengiz
1) Availability of Membership/Subscription (Phone, email, social media)
2) Whether registration is required for the access to the materials, worksheets etc.
Registration is required for accessing some free materials (e.g. e-books). There is also my class login, which requires log in.
3) Authorship (Contact/ information about the author/institution/website owner)
No single author is present. Contact information is not provided.
4) Site description and content (Short description of website, purpose, language skills, materials and activities, learners proficiency level, age )
The website is designed for young learners who are learning early reading skills. There are 250 free e-books (as stated so in the website), book recommendations from experts, ideas about phonics education, suggestions for parents (to help their kids adjust to school life and for home-schooling), expert help regarding grammar, punctuation, spelling and reading, tips for teachers teaching young learners and different grade levels, different activities and games that can be used in these classes, etc. There are many videos that will help teachers and parents learn more about teaching reading and phonics to young learners.
5) Up-to-datedness (Updated time and current links)
The website is updated. The links are working.
6) Accuracy (Accurate information, bibliography, language accuracy)
The language used on the website is accurate. No bibliography is provided.
7) Presentation (Organization/navigation, user-friendliness, technical aspects, graphics, advertisement)
It is a user friendly website. It is easy to navigate and find what you are looking for.
8) Usefulness (For teachers / students – in class or out class activity)
It is an ideal website for getting ideas about teaching early reading skills. E-books that are for free can indeed be very useful for language learners and can be integrated into classroom teaching. There are great ideas and tips specified for different age levels that can be easily used by young learner teachers.
9) Overall rating
1 Very Poor (Not recommended)
2 Poor (Not appropriate)
3 Adequate (Acceptable with adaptation)
4 Good (Appropriate for use)
5 Excellent (Highly recommended)
1 2 3 4 5